The following checklist, guides and resources can be used to develop proposal budgets. The “Proposal Budget Preparation Checklist” can be used to ensure all the elements of a budget have been considered in preparing the budget section of a proposal. Budget information required by BYU can be accessed via the link in the “BYU ORCA Budget Preparation” section. Additional budget information typically required by government funders can be access via the links in the “Budget Preparation Guides from Other Universities” section.
RD Proposal Budget Preparation Checklist
- The “Proposal Budget Preparation Checklist” can be used to ensure all the elements of a budget have been considered in preparing the budget section of a proposal.
BYU ORCA Budget Preparation
- The “Summary Proposal Sheet” must be filled out and submitted to ORCA before a proposal can be submitted to any external funding source. In addition to the “Summary Proposal Sheet”, on the ORCA forms page you can find the “Faculty Salary Calculation Chart” and a “Grant Functions” tool.
Budget Preparation Guides from Other Universities
- University of Utah’s Office of Sponsored Projects budget preparation resources provide detailed and specific instructions for understanding what is needed for a proposal budget.
- UC Berkeley’s Sponsored Project Office budget preparation resources provides a good source for understanding the proposal budget preparation.
- Similarly, UC Irvine’s Office of Research Administration provides guidance for preparing proposal budgets including preparing the SF-424 budget template that is typically required for proposals submitted to via Grants.gov.
- The MIT Office of Sponsored Programs provides an excellent description and breakdown of information needed for a proposal budget.