Skip to main content

External Funding

State and Local Funding

Utah Industry and Innovation Center

The Utah Industry and Innovation Center supports several of Utah’s key industries and assists Utah innovators to win federal R&D dollars through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs. Learn more about Small Business Innovation Research Services.

Federal Funding

Many federal agencies provide research funding. Here are some agencies that BYU faculty have been successful applying to.

International Funding Opportunities

If you’d like to do research internationally, here are some resources to help you find funding.

  • The NIH’s Fogarty International Center supports and facilitates global health research, research training and career development for U.S. and international partners 
  • The NSF’s Office of International Science and Engineering helps with international funding opportunities 
  • The European Union offers opportunities for US researchers to collaborate with European colleagues through Horizon 2020 
  • The European Research Council will fund researchers from anywhere in the world can apply for ERC grants provided the research they undertake will be carried out in an EU Member State or Associate Country 
  • Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions (MSCA) supports researchers at all stages of their careers, regardless of age and nationality 
  • The United Nations has programs and funds in many countries, including research funds 
  • The Global Research Council is a virtual organization, dedicated to promoting the sharing of data and best practices for high-quality collaboration among funding agencies worldwide 
  • The U.S. Fulbright Scholar Program offers approximately 470 teaching, research or combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries. Fulbright Scholar Liaisons help university faculty apply for opportunities with the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program. The Fulbright Scholar Liaison for Brigham Young University is Kristen Kellems. Contact her by email at: or by phone at (801)422-8967.